Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Special Olympic Fundraiser/Arctic Grand Slam

I learned last year at the Arrowhead 135 just how powerful it is to have a charity that can benefit from my participation in running races. I was the only finisher on foot at Arrowhead 135 last year as the -40 temps drove away most of the competitors. If I had not been pulling "Daniels Polar Express" the nick name for my sled which came from a child in my school who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, I might not have finished. Each time I looked at his picture and thought about what he had to deal with on a dailiy basis, I forgot about my discomfort and fatigue and pushed on. We raised a sigificant amount of money to help his family with expenses.
This year, I am dedicating the Arctic Grand Slam to our local Special Olympic Program. I have worked with special olympics for all of my 24 years as a teacher and can truly say it is one of the most rewarding and uplifting things I have ever participated in.
I hope you will consider supporting Special Olympics by clicking on the Firstgiving link below. Thank you for supporting this effort!

No comments: